Monday, September 18, 2006

Where else would I rather be!


The last two weeks on Sunday I have been in the sea with some of my kids, we got cheap (4-3mil, £19) wetsuits off Ebay and body boards from the surf shop at the spa (http://www.fluidconcept.co.uk/. They also do surfing lessons with all the kit you need!) Total cost for all of us just short of £100 with body boards, fun we have had PRICELESS!!
We had one of those unforgettable life moments Sunday before last! I was on the beach with the kids in wetsuits, playing in the surf with body boards. Anyway I was in the deep water; I had just been clobbered by a particularly big wave and looked down to the shore to check on the kids playing where the water was less aggressive. Up pops around 2 foot away but a Labrador ( I first thought, what's a dog doing this far out!) then I did a double take and realised it had no ears (I thought poor dog!); looked again realised it was a seal! Well he/she looked at me, I looked it him/her, transfixed for around 15 seconds, realising we were a bit too close to each other we moved away, me out to sea, seal towards the shore and the kids. Well seals do bite, but not unless provoked! So as a protective parent I drifted in behind to watch the kids reaction, it took them around 2 minutes before they realised that there was an extra body bobbing around with them in their group. Seal was fine and on departing actually brushed past one of the kids who thought it was a shark at first, then up pops the seals head!! Anyway, magical moment for all involved!

No comments: